Thursday, July 3, 2014





Mortar & Pestle; Aromas from A Peranakan Kitchen


“Lai, lai, chiak”, or “Come, come and eat” are familiar words in my
household. Grandma always made sure there was something to eat, no
matter what time of day.

This book is inspired by my childhood and growing up in a Penang
Peranakan/Hokkien family. The best part of those years was spending time
with my grandmother, mother and aunts when they were in the kitchen,
mainly watching them as they prepared items from simple desserts to
elaborate main dishes. Chinese festivals were excellent excuses to spend
even more time in the kitchen, making festive favourites such as kee chang
and ee, which remain my favourites to this day. Cooking and eating, I feel,
brings families closer together.

I still crave the comforting aromas of mee hoon kueh soup simmering in the
pot, or delicious pancakes, eaten fresh and warm straight out of the frying
pan. I find myself smiling when I think about the eager wait for delicious
asam laksa soup with finely minced ikan kembung. The smell of fish would
bring cats to our back door, looking for leftovers. Teatimes would be time
for bee koh moi (sweet black glutinous rice), gandum (sweet wheat pearls) or
ang tau th’ng (red bean soup). Ah, such pleasures. How I miss those days.
Through this book and the recipes inside, I hope to share my memories of
a Peranakan childhood: food, traditions, festive seasons, and more.
So, lai, lai. Join me as I revisit my childhood flavours.


Here are some preview of the delicacies inside the book...




Books are available at MPH and all major bookstores all over Malaysia and Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment